Microfluidic Encapsulation Systems
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API)
Food or Cosmetic Ingredients
Micro-encapsulation is the entrapment of active ingredients in a matrix in order to achieve a pre-defined function. This function can be controlled and sustained release of the ingredient, targeted delivery, protecting or masking the ingredient.
ATG Scientific highly recommends EmulTech’s unique INFINITY model and platform which ensures you can easily and quickly achieve the right process conditions to deliver the best results and consistent batches of materials for either research and devolpment requirements.
Both the INFINITY Mini and INFINITY Lab are versatile systems for rapid uniform and reproducible microsphere formation. The systems provide unprecedented process control in microsphere development thanks to EmulTech’s Flow Calculator. Particles can be produced using all kinds of carrier materials, encapsulating small molecules, peptides and proteins, with a tight particle size distribution in sizes of 1 μm and up.
The technology has been proven in various studies for US and EU customers in the following application fields:
- Vaccine products (1 μm giving improved efficacy)
- Inhaled products (2-3 μm giving improved lung deposition)
- Sterile depot injections (25-135 μm no dose dumping, 0-order)
- Embolization products (30-500 μm giving improved selectivity veins)
- Aliphatic polymers : PLGA, PLA, PCL, PBT, PEG, PVA, etc.
- Polysaccharides : Alginate, Chitosan, Dextran, Gelatine, etc.
- Specialty/proprietary polymers
- Formulation of small molecules, peptides and proteins
Example of Particle Characteristics
- Uniformity: CV < 5%, d90/d10 < 1.2, PDI < 0.002
- Loading: 100% feasible, 55% already tested
- Characteristics of API will influence characteristics of particle at higher loading
- Release profile can be tuned by polymer type, particle size, loading
- Syringability improved by uniformity
- Easily injectable 20 micron suspension through 33G needle
Reproducible and Scalable
- Process parameters on a single channel device can be easily transferred to multi-channel devices
- The unique continuous flow technology:
− reduces process development cost
− eliminates out-of-spec material due to high reproducibility