UNO R&D Thin-Film Deposition Tool
Midsummer AB, the Swedish maker of turn-key manufacturing lines for CIGS solar cell production has launched a R&D version of its DUO sputtering tool.
The UNO tool is a spin-off from Midsummer’s all sputtering CIGS process, but with its versatility, it can be used for many other thin-film R&D applications, including thermoelectric generators, CZTS solar cells, photocatalysis, thin film batteries, fuel cell membrane coating, phase change media, AR coating and touch screens.
The UNO R&D tool is a single version of the DUO sputtering production tool which has 25 processing chambers all operating simultaneously for maximum productivity.
The UNO allows for up to 13 individual process stations in an unbroken vacuum chain, minimizing the risk of sample contamination and reducing the clean room requirements. The tool can be equipped in different configurations depending on its intended use and special process requirements.
The UNO uses 156 x 156 mm glass or metallic substrates. A load lock ensures atmosphere to process vacuum in less than 10 s. It can be equipped with automatic loading and un-loading for up 300 substrates. This in combination with bar coded substrates and a database logging all process parameters for each sample creates an effective way of processing a large number of samples. With its individual vacuum pumps and gate valve design, target and shield change can be done in less than 5 minutes vacuum to vacuum.
The UNO is a pure R&D tool and an ideal platform for CIGS and CZTS solar cell research. It can be equipped with more in-situ measurement stations and, as indicated above, can be used for a multitude of applications where a sputtered material stack in an unbroken vacuum chain is required.
The UNO is aimed at scientists and researchers at Companies, Universities and Institutes who would like to have a lower cost version of the DUO production tool for R&D work.
Many of the features and design of the DUO are also implemented on the UNO including:
- Automatic In- and Out-feed for 300 pieces 6″ substrates
- Load lock enabling atmosphere to process pressure in <10s
- Midsummer cathode design for 230 mm planar target for high target utilization and uniformity
- Individual process pressure in each sputter chamber
- Heating and cooling stations. Process temperatures up to 700ºC
- Database logging all process parameters for each bar coded substrate
- Small footprint and low ceiling height requirements
- Minimum risk of contamination in the unbroken vacuum chain
- Target and shield change in less than 5 minutes vacuum to vacuum
For further information and prices, please contact us